Friday, March 16, 2012

Mom


Ten years ago, my best friend in the whole world was taken by someone who needed her way more than I did. I miss her more and more each day. Im remembering my mother's insatiable lust for life, and how fun was not just a verb, or a noun or anything of the sort to her-- it was a way of life.

So instead of the sad, sappy stuff... this post is dedicated to the amazing woman my mother was and the things she loved!

My mom loved Southern BBQ, specifically North Carolina BBQ (Especially Allen and Sons), and would be the first to tell you that what you do in your backyard is actually called grilling. She was addicted to late night QVC shopping, and I used to hate it. She loved Native American history, and always forced me to make trips to the reservation to see the pow wows every year.  I remember one year she was mortified because she couldn't take her eyes off of the pow wow and thought I was just complaining when I was screaming that I had to tinkle-- until well, I did. Hydrangeas grew in pots on our back porch... and as for our front yard? Pumpkins.  One year a lovely bird left a seed in our yard and all of a sudden pumpkins... everywhere.  And you didn't mess with Linda's pumpkins, she had a shot gun. She was a die hard lover of Cape Cod, and hated when someone new moved to town that she hadn't gotten to introduce herself to yet.  She would walk me down to downtown Hyannis and get fudge from our neighbor's candy shoppe.  She was obsessed with wine, which I guess is why I cant ever put my glass, well, er... bottle down. Especially from the Biltmore. She bought cases on our annual trip to the mountains, I of course was more concerned with how I was going to sneak through those velvet ropes and play with those amazing rocking horses that fill the rooms in the mansion.  As a shopaholic Id always be put in these mommy and me Lilly Pulitzer outfits, that I could not stand... now I cant wait to bust those out the day I have my babies.  She kept dog food in the car for homeless dogs, and she always made sure that we fed the homeless once a month.  She was a daughter of Christ. A daughter of Christ that loved our Sunday morning trips to Burger King for a croissant sandwich (thats before they got gross) before church-- even if that made us a little late.  Bathing in Chanel No 5 was never a bad thing to my mom, and you could never be too over dressed...

I hope that every day I make her proud, and I hope that Im turning into a woman who does the things that I am best in the world at, that uses the phrase "God Willing and the Creek dont Rise" (her catch phrase), and that I always do justice to her mint julep and chili recipes.

So momma, I love you for making me, and being you. Rest in Peace Mom! (1953-2002) 

1 comment:

  1. She sounds so wonderful. What a great post in her honor!

    ReplyDelete