Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thyroid on my mind

Hey Yall,

So a lot of you are wondering what has been up in my life as of late... why I keep popping in and out of the blogosphere.

First-- school. School has been crazy. Adjusting to life as a 1L, and 2L is beyond difficult. You are really far from home, you actually have to work HARD to succeed, there is booze everywhere and fun around every corner, youre in such an exciting new city, you have a roommate, you miss your friends from far away, and you have a lot of loan money to blow in an instant. I really wish I could share every moment, but for privacy reasons, for ABA reasons I just cant. Youll be hearing cases that I just think are bananas, or youll be hearing about my struggles and successes, but not much else!



Second-- hockey boy. Ive finally found someone Im content with and that is the sweet to my tea. My boyfriend is a med student and just as busy as I am. He is hilarious, loves hockey and helping the less fortunate and is as handsome as I come. Im taking a semester off and we're living together at the moment. Not only am I running a household, Im a med student's girlfriend-- which is HARD, but GREAT. Youll be hearing about battling formaldehyde odors, being ignored for lots of studying, our weekly meals, and our home management notebook (Id be lost without it).



Third- my health. This isnt a surprise to most of you, but I could be healthier. This is the first time Ive really talked about my disease for a very long time, its definitely a struggle, but its shaping me into a much better person. Being ill is definitely humbling! I have a disease called Graves, and another called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (around here we just call it POTS). Both are diseases caused by my thyroid. We all have one, its what gives us our metabolism and is in your throat. More women than men have issues with their thyroids and its actually pretty common. I just have a severe disease and most other's are manageable! It definitely changes your life. All that energy I had... how I could eat whatever I wanted and stay the same size actually isnt a good thing! I look like I swallowed Hampton's tennis ball, Im a little too skinny, a lot tired, feel like I always ran a marathon and pass out constantly. Ive been in the hospital a few times and Ive had to take a semester off. But... LIFE IS GREAT! My medicine is doing well, Im eating all the salt I can get, and Im happy-- Im feeling good-- right now. But that could change, so we're always watching what my body is deciding to do each day! My advice, go get yourself and your thyroid a check up! These conditions can be fixed but are lifelong and can be dangerous! Youll feel better if you catch it quickly!



What has stayed the same about me?! My love for all things college football, weddings, travel, beauty, fashion, home and my love for fun! I really hope yall enjoy the wild ride thats to come!


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed getting to know you a little better! My mother-in-law has taken thyroid medication for the 30 years I've known her. Hope this semester off helps you get it under control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you're my POTSy sister, but glad you're getting things taken care of!

    ReplyDelete